New on this site
- Up to two positions for graduate studies available.
- Thanks Alison Laird for giving a seminar at UVic on November 5th about new TRIUMF
measurements of the O17(alpha,gamma) reaction rate that will be important for more accurate predictions of the weak s process from massive stars. Please see
the SLIDES HERE.
- NUGRID: 2nd Collaboration Meeting with Open Day
- Undergraduate USRA Coop job opening for fall 2009 / this job is now filled.
- Aaron Dotter, a post-doc here at Victoria, has made an analysis of the triple-alpha rate prediction by Ogata etal. The result:
"The OKK triple-alpha reaction rate is incompatible with observations of extended red giant branches and He burning stars in old stellar systems." The paper is posted on
- Thanks to a 2 week visit of Marco Pignatari last
November/December we now have new nucleosynthesis simulations for
Sakurai's object using our NuGrid code PPN. These simulations account
for most of the abundance signatures reported by Asplund etal 1999. We
show that they are strong evidence of the break-down of mixing-length
in convective-reactive phases of stellar evolution. This of course has
implications for stellar evolution of the first (generations of)
stars. Right now a PDF file of slides of a talk that I gave at LANL
(December 2008) and DAO/HIA (January 27, 2009) is available, as well
as a movie of a
mppnp NuGrid nucleosynthesis simulation. A paper will follow
- Another year is over, time flies, and it was packed! Last summer I
moved back to Canada where I am now a faculty member at the University
of Victoria, British Columbia. Close collaboration will continue in
particular with Raphael Hirschi at Keele, UK. Most importantly, our NuGrid collaboration is making good progress, with Marco Pignatari leading the way on many issues, and oscillating between Keele, Victoria and Notre Dame. We
had a collaboration meeting in Notre Dame just before the
meeting, and a lot of initial results were shown at that
conference. Check out the nine NuGrid posters on astro-ph. We will come out with refereed results in 2009.
- The NuGrid project page is now launched.
- SAGA -Stellar Abundances for Galactic Archeology Database is now available from the Japanese colleauges lead by T. Suda.
- April 6-11: I will be at IAU Symposium 252: The Art of Modelling Stars in the 21st Century.
- Keele group web page: SHEN
- 02/08: Detlef Schoenberner will be retiring soon from AIP. There will be a a 1-day colloquium in his honour on February 27, 2008. See here for the invitation, all welcome!!!
- 01/08: Takuma Suda will be coming to Keele from October 2008 to April 2010 on a EU Marie Curie International Incoming Fellowship. We are all looking forward to work with Takuma on EMP stars.
- NUCLEI IN THE COSMOS X
Abstract submission, registration, and hotel booking now open
Falk Herwig, Last update: Thu 19 Jan 2017 07:30:45 PST
, WWW home